Mother Mother

It seems Canadian band Mother Mother has been stumping a lot of people lately. No one can figure out what genre they belong to. I'm going to classify them as pop, simply because their music is fun and upbeat and playful. But it is completely wacky pop with elements of bluegrass, folk, country, jazz, punk and in certain songs even mariachi and hip-hop (yes, really). By reading a description of this band, I would have guessed that I would have hated it. On paper, it sounds like music that is just too eccentric for its own good (probably my least favorite kind of music). But after listening to the entire album, I am definitely a fan. Yes, it is out there, but it's also somehow accessible and infectious. Their debut album, Touch Up, is out now on Last Gang Records.

Mother Mother - Polynesia
Mother Mother - Oh Ana

RIYL: The Ditty Bops, The White Stripes, Old Crow Medicine Show, Regina Spektor