New Releases - 7.24.07

Over 400,000 people viewed Dutch band Alamo Race Track's video for "Black Cat John Brown" on YouTube, and millions more heard the song on Grey's Anatomy. Comparisons I've heard so far: "early Radiohead with pizzicato strings", "Soft Bulletin-era Flaming Lips with The Strokes", and "slap-happy Peter, Bjorn John".

Alamo Race Track - Kiss Me Bar

I am pretty much in love with anything retro, and even more so when it is authentically retro like Nicole Willis and her Soul Investigators. Miss Willis is Brooklyn born and the Investigators are from Finland. Who knew Fins could be so funky?!

Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators - A Perfect Kind Of Love

"Spanish Teeth" was one of my favorite songs of 2005, so I was happy to hear that Robbers on High Street had a new album out. Grand Animals is less Spoon sounding, and more heavily Beatles-esque. Their sound is bigger and better this time around - I'm really digging it.

Robbers on High Street - You Don't Stand A Chance


Other honorable mentions for 7.24.07:

Tegan & Sara - The Con (their best yet!)
The Lovemakers - Misery Loves Company (80s leaning pop)
Tiny Vipers - Hands Across The Void (sparse folk)
Bishop Allen - The Broken String (indie must-have)
The Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child (grandoise punk/pop)
John Vanderslice - Emerald City (indie-rock singer/songwriter)

2 comments:

conor said...

ROHS' new album "Grand Animals" Is awesome. I've been listening to it non-stop. I can't wait to see them live again ...

sam said...

You really think "The Con" is Tegan and Sara's best yet?

I'm torn! I really like TC but I think I just LOVED So Jealous...