Yael Naïm

I must admit I first took notice of Yael Naïm last night when I saw the MacBook Air commercial (and subsequently fell in love with both the computer and the song). Then I realized I had actually heard her voice before on the Readymade FC album Babilonia, which I bought on a whim in Paris over two years ago. I think I bought it because Feist was a collaborator on one of the songs. And, just for fun, some trivia about Yael (courtesy of Wikipedia):

1. Naim was born in Paris in 1978 to Jewish-Tunisian parents.
2. At the age of four, she moved with her family to Ramat HaSharon, Israel, where she learned Hebrew and trained as a pianist.
3. She served in Israel Defence Forces as a soloist in Israel Air Force Orchestra.
4. The songs on her self-titled album are in French, English, and Hebrew.
5. The album entered the French album chart at No. 11 the week after its release.

Yael Naïm - New Soul (used in the MacBook Air commercial)
Yael Naïm - Toxic (Britney Spears cover)
Readymade FC feat. Yael Naïm - The Only One
Readymade FC feat. Yael Naïm - Slide

RIYL: Norah Jones, Corinne Bailey Rae, Sia, Cat Power

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I knew I had heard her name somewhere before too, but not the Readymade stuff. Love it.

Torgny said...

Greetings from Sondre's homeland! I just came across this post and found it quite interesting, as I too discovered Yael very recently. In fact, I mentioned her in my own blog only a few days ago. Great music in Feist-land.

Yvonne L. said...

wow, I really love her music. lovely!!

joe sheshlie said...

holy shit!

about 2 years ago, i saw a fantastic video on some website for "the only one" involving a model train set and all the lyrics represented by found objects and it had a profound effect on me. i lost the link to the video without knowing the artist, and BAM here she is!!!! now, i just have to find that video again...

thanx - you, and this blog, are awesome!!!!

Daniella said...

I think everybody should glance at this.